AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

i am scared: my dad has AIDS-lymphoma; he's not himself

last year my mom was diagnosed with AIDS and there for my dad has it (He gave it to her) Well she refuses to go through treatment and i am scared for her. But my real fear is that my dad was diagnosed with type B lymphoma and he went through chemotherapy and he went through radiation very heavy for the past 4 months (he has cancer on his head) Well this Christmas he was more like a vegetable; he could not remember us, what happened to him or anything that happened to him 10 minutes ago or longer. The doctors did tests and said he had a swelling of the brain in the memory area and he has a herpes virus in his brain. I would like to know if there is hope for him in any way. The last chemotherapy he went through was the ICE chemo drug (it was his second round, the second day that his memory went) I am really scared that my mom might go through this. Is this a side effect of AIDS or could it be from the chemo and radiation?? Please give me some insight. Concerned Daughter

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear concerned daughter: Your father's situation does indeed sound quite serious. A lot will depend the status of his HIV. If the doctors can get his HIV under control, then often patients do quite well from a lymphoma standpoint. If his providers can not get his HIV under control, either because he won't take HIV drugs or he is no longer responding to HIV drugs, then the situation is more serious. As for your mother, the most important thing for now is that she gets treatment for HIV if her disease is at the stage where it's warranted. There no reason to assume that she'll get the same complications as your Dad. Good luck -- it is certainly not easy to be in your shoes. BD.

Contradicting Information about HIV testing
Is it safe to continue CHOP? anal fissure