AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Internal KS and drugs/alcohol-- my brother

Dear Dr. Bruce, My brother has had HIV/AIDS since the early 90's, or so he says. He is a drug addict. I do not believe he has taken any meds for HIV. He says he is going to die in 6 months because he has cancer but doesn't say what kind. Could this be internal KS? They found black spots on several internal organs liver, pancreas, gallbladder, kidney. He rarely tells the truth and uses crack/cocaine. Also, can thrush of the mouth be treated? If so, what is recovery time? He also has periods where he doesn't understand you and makes no sense. Is this dementia? Or could it be from the recreational drugs? I don't know what to believe and since I am unable to speak with his doctor I feel that anything he says may or may not be true. I love him and pray for him and do not judge him yet I need some answers for my own well-being. Will he pass on soon or is this a continuing drama and about our lessons in life? He does not seek help through counseling, and he is a very good manipulator, especially with my Mom since he lives with her. He is 40 yrs old. He has not had PCP as yet. Sincerely, Want peace of mind in Florida

Response from Dr. Dezube

Your support, concern, and love of your brother is very admirable. It's hard to really give you hard answers to your questions. There are so many different types of cancers, many of which are much more common than internal KS. Thrush of the mouth can very easily be treated with diflucan or other medication. The single most important thing that you can do is help him get into a recovery program. Obviously this is an easy thing for me to write, and a much much harder thing to accomplish. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him. I have many patients in his boat. Until the mental health issues are cleared up, very little can be done to help him. GOOD LUCK.

How are my numbers post-chemo; help with neuropathy
Contradicting Information about HIV testing