Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Squamous Cell Carcinoma and HPV
Mar 1, 2001

Dear Dr. Dezube, My best friend and I have both survived HIV-related lymphoma. He recently was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma after a fistula was removed from his rectum. The pathology report said this might be HPV-related. He has not seen his oncologist yet. Is this type of cancer common in long term survivors of HIV and what treatment options exist?

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm happy to hear that you both survived lymphoma. Anal cancer (squamous cell carcinoma) is not that unusual in HIV-infected patients. Any HIV-infected patient is at risk of getting this type of cancer if (s)he is infected by the human papillomavirus (HPV). In terms of treatment, if the cancer is sitting on top of a wart, then often all that is necessary is to excise the wart and cancer. HOWEVER, most patients with this cancer are not that lucky to get off so easy. Most patients with this cancer get a combination of radiation therapy and chemotherapy (5-FU and mitomycin). This is the standard of care. The good news is that this cancer is quite curable in the majority of patients.

Good Luck. BD.

Previous
Concerned Friend of Multiple Myeloma Patient
Next
Tetracycline as a treatment for Metastastatic cancer

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.