Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

lymphoma, acyclovir and HAART
May 26, 2002

Do you recommend high-dose acyclovir as a potential way to prevent NHL in HIV+ patients? Does it matter whether there has been an AIDS diagnosis or whether they are on therapy? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I have dealt with this question in the past, but not in a long while. This question came up in the past after the publication of a study which showed that high doses of acyclovir could prevent lymphoma. In general, I do NOT recommend taking high dose acyclovir. I would need to see more studies before issuing such a recommendation. The best way to prevent HIV-lymphoma in my opinion is to take HAART therapy along the current HIV-treatment guidelines (CD4<350 or high viral load). Most of the data on acyclovir use in either boosting the effects of HAART or on preventing lymphoma, predated the era of HAART therapy.

Previous
15 months swollen nodes, can this be something other than cancer or hiv?
Next
What are the Chances of me getting Hepititus C

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.