AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

lymphoma, acyclovir and HAART

Do you recommend high-dose acyclovir as a potential way to prevent NHL in HIV+ patients? Does it matter whether there has been an AIDS diagnosis or whether they are on therapy? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I have dealt with this question in the past, but not in a long while. This question came up in the past after the publication of a study which showed that high doses of acyclovir could prevent lymphoma. In general, I do NOT recommend taking high dose acyclovir. I would need to see more studies before issuing such a recommendation. The best way to prevent HIV-lymphoma in my opinion is to take HAART therapy along the current HIV-treatment guidelines (CD4<350 or high viral load). Most of the data on acyclovir use in either boosting the effects of HAART or on preventing lymphoma, predated the era of HAART therapy.

15 months swollen nodes, can this be something other than cancer or hiv?
What are the Chances of me getting Hepititus C