AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

I've had lymphoma. Can I take growth hormone for my lipodystrophy?

Hi, Dr.Dezube, I am a lymphoma survivor, surgery, CHOP and radiotherapy (last radiotherapy, in November 2000, my last CT scan OK). Do you think I could ask my doctor for growth hormone for my lipodystrophy? is this hormone contraindicated with the history of a Neoplasia? thanks.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Excellent question. I'll give you my opinion, but please realize that it is based on my feelings, not necessarily on facts. First congratulations on becoming a lymphoma survivor, getting through surgery, CHOP chemotherapy and radiotherapy is no small feat. My very strong feeling is that you should do everything humanly possible to stay in remission. This includes not only staying on your HIV drugs, but also avoiding anything which has the potential of stimulating tumors. Growth hormone has the potential of stimulating tumors. Whether growth hormone can stimulate AIDS lymphoma is really not known. HOWEVER, I advise all my lymphoma patients not to take it. You ask specifically "is this hormone contraindicated?" I can't say specifically yes or no to your question; all I can say is that I advise against its use for patients who have or who have had AIDS lymphoma.

Is anyone conducting clinical trials for KS and lymphoma?
Question of cancer on back of right leg