AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

The relationship between KS and Kidney transplantation

I am a doctor in China, One of my patients got KS after Kidney transplantation for 2 year. How should I treat this patient?

Response from Dr. Dezube

Kaposi's sarcoma can occur whenever the immune system is weakened. This occurs not only with HIV Infection, but also, as your query indicates in the setting of transplantation. Your patient's KS is no doubt related to the immunosuppressive drugs s/he is receiving. Can you lower the dose of the immunosuppressive drugs? That would help the KS. However, often you can not do this because it might cause him/her to reject the kidney. Treatment really depends on the extent of the KS. If it's limited in extent, it can be treated with radiation therapy. Other treatments for limited disease include intralesional chemotherapy (Velban) or Panretin gel. If the KS is more extensive, patients often need chemotherapy; in the United States typical agents are DaunoXome, Doxil, and Taxol. Different agents are available in different countries.

painful lymph nodes and malaise for several months
Can HPV turn into HIV?