AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Thank You for replying to

Dr. Dezube,

I'm the Hiv+, how is it possible question which you posted in May 2002. I would like to thank you for the information you passed on. Especially the advice of moving forward. Just for note, yes I had a second hiv test done, and it came back the same positive. I was fortunate to have treatment here in New Zealand, with a drug called Gleevec, it was tested on other cancer patients to see how it effected us...and I was one of the fortunate persons that have gone into Complete Remission. I came to New Zealand in 1999, and I will be leaving New Zealand in one month. The work all of you doctors do in your Research, is so amazing. Is there any books you could possibly recommend to me about HIV+ patients surviving longer than 10 years without taking the correct med's?? my daughter is having such a difficult time with accepting that any hiv+ person can live longer than 10 years without proper treatment, even with proper treatment. She has been reading a book, not sure from who, that states otherwise...any help would be so appreciated...again thank you so much.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I would highly recommend that you and your daughter seek help. There are many counsellors, as well as support groups, for children whose parents have either HIV, cancer, or both. I'm glad to hear that you will be moving forward. A good counsellor or support group will help you daughter move forward also. Although it is quite natural for your daughter to be frightened, you and your daughter should have much time together.

Preventive/screening for anal cancer
Hodgkins treatment and red-blood cell problems