AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

swollen lymphnodes EVERYWHERE, neck, groin, collarbone,armpits,legs

Six months ago I went to my general practicioner for swollen lymphnodes in the neck and groin regions. Basic blood tests showed nothing and they decreased in size within 2 - 3 months. I was told then that because I am thin my lymphnodes are more palpable. One week ago I noticed that the nodes in my neck had become swollen again and that there where approximately 10 - 20 new ones bringing the total there to 30 and in the groin area where originally there where only 2 one on each side now has increased to 15 on each side and they can be traced branching down my leg. In the days that followed the number of nodes was increasing so rapidly - they are now evident in the armpits and collarbone areas. I immediately went to my Dr. and we are running more bloodtests and an x-ray was taken. Please tell me what this could be. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Although the majority of lymph nodes are nothing more than the body's attempt to fight off infection, your lymph nodes sound like they are more prominent than those that would normally be expected. Have you been tested for HIV? It would be good to find out one way or the other if you are HIV positive. If you were to be HIV positive, then the prominent lymph nodes may simply be a manifestation of your HIV. If you were to be HIV negative, and I hope you are, then I would suggest that you consider getting one of the lymph nodes biopsied. Only through a biopsy will you be able to find out what the cause of your "lymph nodes everywhere" is.

AIDS-triggered Cancers; How do they differ from the other cancers?
Can EBV infection be cured? (EBV is one of the viruses which cause cancer in HIV-infected patients)