Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Recurrent Perianal Warts -- Best Treatment?
Apr 24, 2002

Hi -- I wrote to you before, when I was being treated for a squamous cell carcinoma in my external, perianal region. In December, I had surgery to remove it and also to remove "extensive" anal and perianal condyloma/warts, then in January completed 25 sessions of radiation. Since then, I have had a sudden spate of 5 new warts just as I was healing up from the radiation. My surgeon treats me every week by applying Podophyllin to my perianal area, and I use Aldara cream 3 nights per week. It's better, but not gone (it's just been about 3-4 weeks). I saw an ad in a gay magazine for another doctor who claims to "cure" anal warts by injecting them with something, and I'm going to see him for a consultation. The weekly applications of Podophyllin make my "hole" sore for about 24 hours afteward, requiring hot baths and pain meds to sleep. Of the several treatment options (Podophyllin/Aldara, injections (interferon?), another I heard of called Bleomycin), which do you think would treat my hole once and for all so that I'm not chronically sore?? After surgery, radiation, and weekly follow-ups, I want my poor hole left alone! What do you think is "state of the art"? Thanks!

Response from Dr. Dezube

Sounds like no fun having these recurrent warts. Basically you have a chronic HPV (human papillomavirus virus) infection. I don't think there is really a "state of the art" treatment. I imagine you may get recurrent outbreaks which will need to be treated recurrently as you indicate.

I am assuming that all your warts are external. I prefer Aldara for my patients. It is self-administered. I recommend patients use it three times per week, but to back off to two times per week per week if their hole is sore. If you get all your warts cleared up by this treatment, then I would recommend that you use Aldara once or twice a week on a chronic basis, at least for several months. This will help keep your warts suppressed. I recommend to my patients that they apply a pea-sized quantity of Aldara at night and to wash it off in the morning. Ultimately the best treatment for your condition may be an HPV vaccine. HPV vaccines are currently in trials, but unfortunately, are not widely available.

Lastly, if you have recurrent external warts, then it would pay to have a health care provider look internally. External warts often travel with internal warts. The treatment for internal warts would be different than the treatment outlined above for external warts.

Also you do not mention whether or not you are HIV positive. If you were to be HIV positive, then it's important you do whatever is possible to maintain your CD4 count high and your viral load low.

Previous
Anything on the horizon with respect to curing HHV-8?
Next
AIDS-triggered Cancers; How do they differ from the other cancers?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.