AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Does HIV affect menstrual cycles?

I was wondering if there has been any studies done on the effect of HIV and or HIV drugs on the menstrual cycles. I'm 40 years old and have had many problems with my period, but these last two years, it has gotten extremely worse. My doctor thinks it could be the HIV and the drugs. My blood counts are good, viral load undectable, CD4 cells around 600. My meds are Epivir, Kaletra and Zerit. In the last 2 years I have had months with no period and now once again I am getting it every 10 to 15 days. It is getting very hard to deal with not only physically, but it also has my emotions very unsettled. Is there anything you can advise or recommend? Thanks P.S. My doctor has checked for possible menopause but says no. Please help!

Response from Dr. Dezube

Studies have indeed addressed the relationship between HIV and menstrual cycles. For the most part, neither HIV nor the HIV medications affect the menstrual cycle. However, patients who have AIDS and AIDS wasting, may experience menstrual cycle changes. You mention that you are 40 years old. Have you been seen by a gynecologist? That is what I would recommend. An evaluation is probably in order. Such an evaluation might include an ultrasound test and a endometrial (inner lining of uterus) biopsy if there are abnormalities on the ultrasound. It would also be useful to know a bit about your family history. How old was your mother when she had her menopause? Do you have a family history of fibroids?

Changes in my spleen after transplant for lymphoma
Testing Topotecan; these drugs show great promise