AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Lymph nodes everywhere! Are collarbone lymph nodes more likely to be cancer?

My husband 29, has soft grape sized lymph nodes near his left collarbone, head, back of neck and under jaw. They are EVERYWHERE except groin? and armpits. He has had them for 6 months to 2 yrs! He says he feels tired(works 90 hrs a WK) and has lost weight but he also went on a diet and works out on treadmill everyday. Are the collarbone lymph nodes really 90 of the time cancer? I made an appointment with an oncologist next week. He hasn't been to a doctor for a check up since he went to the army in 98. He was discharged due to back pain 2 months after joining. Right after that he had a seizure like episode, went to ER, saw neuro, everything ok. Then he had another falling down episode 2 yrs ago. Refused to see doctor. Now I'm losing sleep , he has no insurance and won't go next week to oncologist unless his insurance kicks in.! He also hasn't seen a dentist for nearly 10 yrs!!! Could that be a factor? Does this really sound serious like Lymphoma? HIV test in 99 was negative.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I would recommend repeat HIV testing since it's important to know have this information upfront since this will help guide other tests. If he were to be HIV-positive, then it is possible that his fatigue and weight loss may be related to this. If he is HIV-negative, and there is no easy explanation for the lymph nodes, fatigue, and weight loss, then he may want to get one of the lymph nodes biopsied. I realize that all this is quite difficult if you don't have health insurance. Often hospitals have offices which can help get you the necessary assistance you need.

As for your question about collarbone (supraclavicular) lymph nodes, it is indeed true that they are a bit more worrisome than lymph nodes in other places. However, patients can get enlarged lymph nodes in that location without having developed cancer. I do think your husband needs to be evaluated by a health care professional. I feel for you since you sound like a caring wife, who is being driven crazy by the situation.

Swollen nodes for 4 years; should I be worried?
Changes in my spleen after transplant for lymphoma