AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Swollen nodes for 4 years; should I be worried?

I have been HIV+ for 4 years now, and soon after I started on my medication (Videx, Zerit, Sustiva), I noticed swollen nodes under my jaw.

All this time I have been undetectable, my CD4 count is 1200, and have not had any oportunistic infections other than shingels at the time I was diagnosed.

Should I be worried about this, of course I would like to not have them, or at least not be as noticable. Should my doctor be looking in to why they are present for so long..?

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Dezube

It is NOT unusual to have persistent lymph nodes in the setting of HIV disease. Swollen lymh nodes are often no more than a sign that the body is trying to fight off the HIV infection. We get particularly worried about swollen lymph nodes when some nodes are way out of proportion to other lymph nodes, when the lymph nodes are associated with systemic symptoms (fever, chills, night sweats, weight loss), and when the lymph nodes continue to grow in size. I imagine, though I can't guarantee it, that your lymph nodes of 4 years duration is nothing to worry about, particularly since you are otherwise well and your CD4 count is so high.

Is recurring fever a primary sign of HIV? condoms and STDs?
Lymph nodes everywhere! Are collarbone lymph nodes more likely to be cancer?