|How are AIDS and Cancer related?
Apr 20, 2002
HOW ARE AIDS AND CANCER RELATED OR ARE THEY?
Response from Dr. Dezube
The HIV virus weakens the immune system. Because of the weakened immune system, HIV-positive folks are more prone to develop cancers, such as Kaposi's sarcoma, lymphoma, cervical cancer, anal cancer, Hodgkin's disease, and so on. In addition, the natural history of several cancers is altered by HIV. For example, lung cancer, which is NOT caused by HIV, behaves differrently in an HIV-positive patient compared to an HIV-negative person. It is more aggressive in the HIV-infected person. The good news is that HIV drugs help restore the immune system and help decrease (but not eliminate) the risk of cancer.
addicted to sex...NEED HELP!!!
Help me understand the cause of KS
- Herpes After Eating Sperm Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Skin After Kissing Cold Sore Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Loose Stool After Sex With Stripper Condom Broke Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Vaginal Discharge After Drinking Water Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps After Kissing Cut On Lip Worried I Have HIV
- White Discharge After Touching Vaginal Fluid Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.