Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What exactly does "night sweats" mean?
Apr 14, 2002

Dr. Dezube. What does the term "night sweats" mean? it means that night sweats are present at night ( sleeping or not) or while a person is sleeping (day or night) .

Response from Dr. Dezube

"Night sweats" is often an indication that a patient is systemically ill. I don't know if there is a firm definition for "night sweats". I imagine there is some leeway regarding the exact definition. I typically define "night sweats" as sweating that is so profuse that the person wakes up and is drenched and needs to change his/her sleepwear. Can this happen during the day while a person is sleeping? I guess so; I see no reason why not. Traditionally however "night sweats" occur at night and while a patient is sleeping. I hope this helps and that I didn't confuse the situation further.

Previous
bump under my armpit; I'm going crazy
Next
How to check for swollen nodes/glands

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.