AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

bump under my armpit; I'm going crazy

hi Dr.Dezube

I know you're quite busy but I would really appreciate if you could answer my questions as I'm going crazy worrying sick. I had a possible risky exposure last may, I got tested for hiv 6 weeks after the incident and the result was negative. I again got tested in January this year as the CDC recommends getting tested after the 6th month window period, then again in february(9months). both were negative. In all I have had 4 tests (2 elisas n' 2 home testin) since the exposure and all have been negative. as of a few days now i've noticed a bump under my right armpit,it does look like a swollen node. I'm just worried. If it's nothing malignant how soon would it go away? is it possible to have the virus and still show up as negative after 9 months? should i get tested again? Are there chances of having the virus and never producing antibodies? I look forward to your answers. Thank you for your comforting website.

Response from Dr. Dezube

If you tested negative at 6 months and 9 months, then you are HIV negative. I do not see any reason to get tested again, unless you have further risky exposures. As for you armpit lymph node, this is a very common place for lymph nodes. The vast majority of these lymph nodes come and go, typically over the course of weeks. Typically an enlarged lymph node is part of the body's immune system trying to fight off infection. If the lymph node persists, then a biopsy may be reasonable to find out what's going on.

I'm really scared for my friend's lymph node
What exactly does "night sweats" mean?