AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

You said lipomas are not dangerous, but what causes them?

Dr. Dezube, Thanks for all of your answers. After five years of Crixivan usage, I got horrible lipoatrophy (loss of fat tissue). Then after switching to Agenerase, Ziagen and ddI (Videx) the horrible sunken face and veiny look filled back in after a year or so. But now all of the so-called benign lipomas not only got larger, but they are quickly appearing all over my arms and legs (not my face yet). I got so annoyed at seeing one large one on my wrist that I tried removing it myself! My doctor told me that even if surgically removed there is no guarantee that these will not come back. What is egging these guys on??? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Lipomas are the most common of all benign tumors and can arise in any location where fat is present. Although I did indeed say at one point that they are not dangerous, I do not want to minimize the nuisance/annoyance which they can represent. Both HIV positive and HIV negative folks can get them. I'm not sure anyone really knows what is egging these guys on. In HIV positive folks, they may be part of the lipodystrophy syndrome (abnormal fat loss and fat accumulation). You are currently taking a protease inhibitor (agenerase). Is there an anti-retroviral regimen which you can easily switch to that does not include a protease inhibitor? Sometimes switch regimens help. You can certainly have the most troublesome lipomas surgically removed, but your doctor is correct in that there is no guarantee that they will not come back.

Possible Lymphoma? Is it possible to remain lymphoma free once one is in remission?
Does the sed rate test have anything to do with HIV?