AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

The results are in-- Brain Mass-Follow up question of March 17, 02

Dear Dr. Dezube This is an update of what has happened to my cousin since my last query regarding the mass that was found in his brain. Our family finally decided to move him to another hospital, since it was almost 2 months that this place was not doing anything but treating for TOXO. Thank GOD this 2nd hospital was excellent, the brain biopsy was done after 10 days, and we know now that he has CNS brain Lymphoma, he will now be treated with radiation. In your experience, is radiation effective in treating this disease? all comments from you are always helpful. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm glad your cousin underwent a brain biopsy. Now you know exactly what you are dealing with. The treatment of choice for this condition is radiation and steroids. Your cousin's prognosis will really depend upon what's happening to his underlying HIV. If his careproviders can get his viral load under control and if his CD4 rises, he may due well. The status of his underlying HIV is probably the key determinant of his prognosis.

intraepithelia neoplasia/HPV disease, surgery, and now what?
KS is clearing up, but now new oral KS; How should I battle this new ones?