Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I'm cured from Hodgkin's; Am I at risk now for cancers?
Mar 31, 2002

H i: I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's and with HIV in Dec. 2000. I am in remission for the Hodgkin's and HIV loads and counts are ok. I had ABVD chemotherapy and radiation for the Hodgkin's What is the chance for a relapse? Am I more at risk now for other cancers? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm happy to hear that you are in remission from Hodgkin's disease. You risk of relapse is low, particularly since your HIV loads and counts are okay. You ask a very appropriate question about your risk for other cancers. Survivors of Hodgkin's disease are indeed at risk for other cancers. It is very important you do everything in your power to minimize the risk-- in particular Hodgkin's disease patients are more prone to lung cancer, so if you smoke, then stop. They are more prone to melanoma, so if you are a sun-worshipper, then use appropriate means to block out the sun. Get regulary check-ups. If you are a woman, then get mammograms and cervical PAP smears on a regular basis. If you are a gay man, then get anal PAP smears. This predisposition to cancer is a result of the ability of Hodgkin's disease to impair the immune system.

Previous
Pain after a spinal tap; it really hurts.
Next
intraepithelia neoplasia/HPV disease, surgery, and now what?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.