AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Pain after a spinal tap; it really hurts.

Dr Dezube, Recently I had a spinal tap. After 4 attempts they gave up, that was 2 weeks ago. Last week I had the spinal tap under Fluoroscopy. My back is so painful like after I walk a distance and if I bend to quickly, I get a sharp pain in my lower back. I don't won't to look like a boby and complain but it really hurts a lot. I am not allowed to take aspirin. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Sorry to hear about your pain; it sounds awful. Although spinal taps are performed smoothly and painlessly in the majority of patients, we do indeed hear horror stories such as yours from time to time. I imagine that you are in pain from the multiple attempts. In time, the pain should subside. Depending upon the nature of the pain, ibuprofen (advil, medipren, nupren), tylenol with codeine, percocet, or many other medications can all help. On occasion the spinal tap creates a hole and the spinal fluid continues to leak out. Patients with such a leak often complain of severe headaches for days after the procedure. If you do have a spinal leak, then the treatment for this is for a health care provider to place a patch to seal up the hole. Please let your provider know about your pain.

HIV and Possible Cancer, Linked?
I'm cured from Hodgkin's; Am I at risk now for cancers?