AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Really Confused and Scared! Obsessing about lymphoma.

I am terrified I may have Lymphoma and HIV. Last month I had a upper respiratory thing, fever and some night sweats which resolved in time. I also had a stomach viral thing which was fine in about 36 hours.

I went to my doctor and a Infectious disease specialist and both felt my neck/belly/arms etc. and said they found no swollen nodes. I had a CBC done as well as a chest XRay and all were fine/normal/negative. I also wound up in the emergency room and the doctor there felt nothing as well. This was all in the last month or so.

Recently, I notice can feel small nodes in my neck if I press down at the point where the neck meets my jawline-at the exact spot where you can feel the pulse. The node is "on top" of the pulse. I do feel the same node on the other side, but slightly smaller. I am very worried about this. Is it possible I could have developed cancerous nodes after so many doctors have said I am fine and in the last month?

I feel good, am energetic, have a great appetite and am actually gaining weight. I have had extraordinary stress in the last 4 months and have a pinched nerve in my neck-

I am really hoping and praying for a response from you-

Thank You!

OCD in Philly (obsessive compulsive disorder)

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear OCD in Philly, Although I obviously can't guarantee that you do not have lymphoma, there is nothing in your query which would suggest to me that you have lymphoma. The fact that your fever and night sweats have resolved, that your blood work and chest x-ray were normal, and that you feel well, all make the likelihood of lymphoma quite low. Small lymph nodes in the area you mention are not uncommon. Lymph nodes such as these often come and go. If they persist after 2 months ago, then it may pay to have a health provider take a second look at them. I realize that you signed your note "OCD in Philly"; Hopefully I was able to reassure you a bit.

persistent node-how long?
What is the rationale for the difference in chemotherapy dosage for HIV versus non HIV Patients?