AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Is psoriasis a common indicator of HIV?

I have what I believe to be a patch of psoriasis on my leg. Never had it before. Thought it might be KS at first but it is scaly which indicates psoriasis. Is psoriasis a common indicator of HIV? I've read articles both pro and con on this subject. Thanks for your help-your answers are so kind, patient and informative.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Although psoriasis and many other skin disorders are more common in HIV+ folks than in HIV- folks, the majority of patients with psoriasis do NOT have HIV. Acne and rashes in general are also skin conditions which are brought out by HIV, but again, most folks with acne and rashes do NOT have HIV. If you are concerned about HIV, then please get tested. Knowledge is power.

Possible Kaposi's sarcoma? Spots on my hands and feet.
Kaposi's Sarcoma and acute HIV infection. Is it possible?