AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Possible Kaposi's sarcoma? Spots on my hands and feet.

Hello I really need some advice. If one tested positive for herpes 2 virus, but negative for HIV several times past six month period, is that accurate that one is HIV negative period? Also I tested negative for syphilis and hepatitis. But I have what looks like red small spots on my hands and on the soles of my feet(the spots are on both of the soles of my feet) could this possibly be KS? Also I have several marks on my thighs and legs where the color has gone away any idea on this? Thank you and GOD Bless.

Response from Dr. Dezube

It would be quite unlikely, but not impossible, for you to develop KS if you are HIV negative. Your negative HIV is good enough, you need to do no further testing in terms of HIV. As for your red spots, please permit me to re-run my response from Sept 16, 2001. It's applicable to your query--

In the past months or so, I have received about 30 queries which describe pigmented lesions, stretch marks, pimples and so on and so on. Some describe red lesions, others purple or brown lesions, and others lesions that either do or do not blanch (turn white). Some of the queries are from HIV + folks, some from HIV - folks. They all ask the same question. What do I think? Is it cancer? Is it KS?

Basically there is no way to know whether a lesion is KS or not without a biopsy. KS is a disease which is really diagnosed by a pathologist looking at a biopsy specimen under the microscope. If you go to a clinician who sees alot of KS, (s)he can certainly give you a presumptive diagnosis. There are however many, many different skin conditions which can cause lesions. KS is unlikely in HIV negative folks, though it can occur.

If you really are concerned that you have KS (and I'm referring to all thirty of you who have written to me), then first get HIV tested. You need to know. If you are HIV negative, then mostly likely you do not have KS. If you are HIV positive and have a pigmented lesion, then by all means get this checked out. Most KS lesions can be readily dealt with. There is no reason to agonize about this. The sooner you get seen, the sooner it can be taken care of.

So many of you query this site when it comes to lesions because of fear of the unknown, fear of seeking medical care, and so on. I urge all of you to get that lesion evaluated if it's driving you crazy. Don't lose any more sleep over it.

Best of Luck. BD.

Why is my swollen lymph node painful?
Is psoriasis a common indicator of HIV?