Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Why is my swollen lymph node painful?
Mar 17, 2002

I checked all the questions about nodes, but didn't see this one so....I have a swollen lymph node under my armpit which is quite large (about 1.5 inches) and am concerned about the level of pain that I experience in the area surrounding the node. I am waiting for an appt. with my Dr. but am quite anxious to find out anything that I can. The node has grown to this size in a matter of one week and is the only swollen node on my body. Is pain normally connected to swollen nodes? Thanks for listening to one more lymph node question....CF

Response from Dr. Dezube

As lymph nodes grow, they cause the capsule in which they are contained to swell. The amount of pain that an individual lymph node causes is determined not only by the size, but also by the rate of growth. A lymph node, which grows slowly, tends to expand the capsule slowly, causing less pain. A lymph node, such as yours, which is growing quickly, tends to cause more pain. The most common cause of a rapidly growing lymph node in the arm pit is NOT cancer, but rather an infection. The arm pit is a very common place for such an infection. You may need an antibiotic to take care of this. If your lymph nodes remains swollen even after a course (typically one week) of antibiotics, then further evaluation may be in order. On occasion very enlarged lymph nodes need to be drained by a surgeon, particularly if they contain pus. Scratches from cats, especially kittens, can provoke very swollen lymph nodes in the armpit region, because these playful pets often a harbor certain bacteria, which sets up such a reaction. I often tell patients to avoid deodorants while they have swollen lymph nodes in the armpit.

Previous
GROWING as opposed to SWOLLEN lymph node
Next
Possible Kaposi's sarcoma? Spots on my hands and feet.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.