The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

GROWING as opposed to SWOLLEN lymph node
Mar 17, 2002

First of all, I would like to thank you SINCERELY for this wonderful service you and your team are providing on the internet. May God reward you!

I would be grateful if you could answer for me yet another lymph node question.

There is this lump behind my 2 year old daughter's right ear which I noticed about a year ago. It seems to be GROWING (not SWOLLEN) as she grows. Her appetite, weight, growth and development is quite remarkable, though she does have occational childhood fevers (which my doctor attributes to teething and malaria). Could you please shed light on the difference between a GROWING and a SWOLLEN gland?...Thanks a lot

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm not really sure that there is a major difference between "growing" nodes and "swollen" nodes. They both convey the idea that the lymph nodes are enlarged and possibly in need of evaluation. Lymph nodes become painful as they grow/become swollen and cause the capsule in which they are contained to expand.

You can refer to my many other responses to about what makes a lymph nodes worrisome. To name just a few circumstances-- If there are systemic symptoms (fever, chills, night sweats, weight loss); if one node is way out of proportion to other lymph nodes; if lymph nodes continue to grow. Children are very prone to enlarged lymph nodes. Has she been evaluated by her pediatrician for this?

Low white blood count; Should I get a bone marrow examination?
Why is my swollen lymph node painful?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint