AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

GROWING as opposed to SWOLLEN lymph node

First of all, I would like to thank you SINCERELY for this wonderful service you and your team are providing on the internet. May God reward you!

I would be grateful if you could answer for me yet another lymph node question.

There is this lump behind my 2 year old daughter's right ear which I noticed about a year ago. It seems to be GROWING (not SWOLLEN) as she grows. Her appetite, weight, growth and development is quite remarkable, though she does have occational childhood fevers (which my doctor attributes to teething and malaria). Could you please shed light on the difference between a GROWING and a SWOLLEN gland?...Thanks a lot

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm not really sure that there is a major difference between "growing" nodes and "swollen" nodes. They both convey the idea that the lymph nodes are enlarged and possibly in need of evaluation. Lymph nodes become painful as they grow/become swollen and cause the capsule in which they are contained to expand.

You can refer to my many other responses to about what makes a lymph nodes worrisome. To name just a few circumstances-- If there are systemic symptoms (fever, chills, night sweats, weight loss); if one node is way out of proportion to other lymph nodes; if lymph nodes continue to grow. Children are very prone to enlarged lymph nodes. Has she been evaluated by her pediatrician for this?

Low white blood count; Should I get a bone marrow examination?
Why is my swollen lymph node painful?