AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

MUGA Scan before transplant

Dr Dezube, I'm getting a Stem Cell Transplant is that why they are doing the MUGA Scan? The nurse told they want to see if my heart will tolerate the Chemo for the Transplant. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Dezube

This is exactly correct. A MUGA assesses the function of a heart. Certain drugs, which you may receive during your translant, could potentially affect the heart. The transplant team wants to see whether your heart will tolerate the chemotherapy for the transplant. The MUGA is a very standard test in this setting. Some cancer centers use cardiac echos (ultrasounds) instead of MUGAs. Either test would be just fine. Good luck with your transplant

Diagnosis intradermal nevus; could they have missed an AIDS cancer?
Brain Mass; Toxoplasmosis infection versus lymphoma