AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

What is a MUGA Scan?

Dr Dezube, Part of my restaging is a MUGA Scan I don't know anything about it.What does it show.Thank you

Response from Dr. Dezube

A MUGA scan is technically not really part of "restaging". Restaging means that your health provider is trying to determine if you have any residual cancer (typically lymphoma or Hodgkin's disease). A MUGA scan will tell your health provider how well your heart is pumping. On occasion, oncologists order MUGA scans to determine if any of the chemotherapy drugs adversely effected the heart. So a MUGA scan call tell how well you tolerated the chemotherapy, but does not tell anything about residual tumor. I typically don't order MUGA scans unless there is a concern for heart disease (e.g. in a patient with a prior heart attack, in a patient who had heart disease prior to chemotherapy, in an older patient, and so on).

Pain in the testicle!
Dear Doc - Please! - What Is Going On?