AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

blood count during chemotherapy; immature cells present; what does this all mean?

Dr Dezube, Completed 1st cycle of chemotherapy + rituxan, its a 21 day cycle with chemotherapy given day 1 and 8. received neupogen due to low white cells. Also received procrit and 2 units of blood for low red cells (hematocrit 23). Yesterday's blood count showed under NEUTS (immature granulocytes present),LYMPHS (Variant lymphocyctes present),Morphology >10 immature granulocytes present.Monos 1.83Basos 0.18. What does that mean? My H&H 12.6/35.5 and RBC 4.02 and LD went from 114 last week to 209.Are these results OK? HIV undectable and last T-CELLS 270 lympocyctes in November and haven't every missed my meds. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Dezube

It sounds like your doing okay. The use of neupogen is to be expected since it helps boost your white count; the use of procrit is similarly to be expected since it helps boost your red cells. The cell types are also what is expected. Neupogen causes certain types of white cells (called granulocytes) to come out of the bone marrow before they fully had time to mature; thus patients on neupogen therapy often have "immature granulocytes" present. They work quite well, though they do not have the appearance under the microscope of mature granulocytes. I'm glad to hear that you haven't missed any of your meds. Good luck. It's not easy going through what you are experiencing now. BD.

Night Sweats and Weight loss; HELP!
HHV-8 (Kaposi's sarcoma virus) and Pregnancy; What risk is there to a fetus?