AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Night Sweats and Weight loss; HELP!

I hope you can answer this question. I have had several health problems since having sex with a prostitue from Cameroon, West Africa five years ago.

Approximately two week after unprotected sex (she lubricated a vibrator with her pussy and inserted it into my ass), I had a rash which looked like the hives (red with raise bumps) on my back and shoulder. The rash didn't itch, I also had a fungus grow on my under arm hairs. This lasted for about two/three weeks and resolved. I noticed these symptoms while taking a shower. Four weeks later after the above symptoms resolved I started to have unintentional weight loss. Lost a total of 9 lbs in three weeks. With no chage in diet.

The weight loss resolved I gained my weight back and I didn't think much about it.

One year later I begin to experience syncope with profuse sweating and sometimes diarrhea. The syncope episode would last about 45 minutes, then I would have diarrhea. My heart rate would drop to about 15 BPM and BP drop to 60/30.

I also began to have a rash which looked like hives and it itched. I would take a Beydral and the rash would subside. I still have this reocurring problem now several times a month with the rash that usually subsides after a few hours.

Another year later after having six episodes of these attacks I was Hopitalize once from an attack though it was a heart Attack. Had a stress test following discharge from the Emergency roon and it was Negative also had a Radiograhic of the Heart and it showed no blockage.

About ten months later I had another syncope attack I became sick on my stomach threw-up, sucked vomit into my lungs, and drown.

The medics Preformed CPR and gave me dopamine to start my heart. I was in a coma for three days spent a week in the hospital and was tested for numereous cardiac problems; every thing was negative.

I also suffered some brain damage due to lack of oxygen and was in nerogical rehab. for five months.

I was finally diagnosed with cardio-vagal syncope. Prescibed Norpace to regulate my heart beat.

This work fine for about about a year and I begin to have more attacks.

Went to another cardiologist he said these symptoms didn't sound like Neuro-Vaso-Vagal syncope and prescibed Effxor at 25 mg.

I haven't had any attacks recently but eight months ago I had a upper respiratory infection took some antibiotics went back to the doctor because it looked like I had thrush he agreed, but didn't test he said it was probably due to the antibiotic.

About a week later I started to have night sweats had to change my T-shirt when I awoke and off course I couldn't go back to sleep. I Continued to have these night sweats for about three weeks. Each night I woke up had to change T shirts and couldn't go back to sleep.

I went to my doctor and had an HIV 1/2 test and it was negative.

He couldn't explain the night sweats blood count was normal 10.3 total with 75 polys, 15 lymps, RBC was 4.6 Platelets 300,000 eveything checked out okay.

Three weeks after resolution of the night sweats I started to loss weight, my appetite was very good I just continued to lose weight. A total of 14 lbs. in about a month. At the end of this month when the weight loss stopped I started to have extreme pain in my lymph nodes in my groin area. They felt like someone was putting a hot poker in them. They were only slightly swollen. The pain hurt the most while setting or sleeping. They didn't burn or hurt so much while I was up and about. I took Ibuprofen and it didn't help.

This finally subsided after three weeks. These symptoms lasted about four months from the first night sweat to resolution of painful lymp nodes in my groin area, both sides. The nodes in my neck and ear didn't hurt but it hurt to turn my neck from side to side this lasted for about a month after the painfull lymps in my groin had subsided.

Curently I have a slighly swollen lymph node on one side of my groin however my doctor doesn't think so. I also have one lymph node below my right side on my ear which is slightly swollen.

They have stayed this size now for five months no change is size. I can compare the one lymp in my neck to the other side and can feel one and not the other the same is true in groin area.

My most recent doctor visit last month My thyroid test was normal my WBC is still 10.3 total with polys at 70, lymps 24 monocytes 5 and 1 baso.

Red blood cells are 4.6 with all other red counts in the normal range platelets 330,000.

I also had another HIV 1/2 test after these symptoms resolved and it was negaive.

My tongue still has a white coating on it and it is always has a burning sensation. this has been going on now for three years.

Some times it resolves for a week of so and then its back for several months at a time.

The big question is could this be related to some rare HIV strain, or cancer. Or just some benign virus??

I have never been to a HIV specialist or Onoclogist to discuss these symptoms with.

I hope you can shed some light on these symptoms, have you heard of other HIV patients having similar symptoms??

I fear that I have contracted some rare HIV strain not detectable by the ELISA test.

I understand syncope is a symptom of HIV along with night sweats and weight loss.

The fungus on my hair underneath my arm pits has come back since the episode of night sweats begun about eight months ago. The fungus grows on the hairs whenever I try to remove the fungus the hairs just fall out. This doesn't happend to the hairs that has no fungus on it. Once the hairs grow back they do not have fungus on them until they have grown to about 1/2 - 1 inch. I do not have this problem with my pubic hair or anywhere else.

could these be symptoms of hiv?

I hope you will resond any help on this subject will be appreciated.

Please respond

Response from Dr. Dezube

That's quite some saga. I decided not to shorten it, but to include the whole story. I doubt you have HIV if you have been tested for both HIV-1 and HIV-2. It may pay to be seen by an infectious diseases expert. Have you been tested for TB? It may pay to have a chest and abdominal CT scans, which would give a better idea of the significance of your enlarged lymph nodes. Ultimately I think something needs to be biopsied to get a diagnosis. The best bet would be to biopsy a specific lymph node if it is out of proportion to the other lymph nodes. If you are concerned that you may have something affecting your immune system, even with an HIV negative test, then you could get your CD4 cell count checked. This would give you and your provider a quick look at one component of your immune system. You didn't mention it, but have you had your blood drawn for liver tests, kidney tests, mononucleosis test, sedimentation rate, and so on? Please follow up with your care provider. Good luck.

swollen lymph node on chest
blood count during chemotherapy; immature cells present; what does this all mean?