AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

My biopsy is back. No KS, just keratosis. Can I be sure?

Well, I got my biopsy results, it shows benign keratosis. What is this exactly? Can I feel certain it's not KS? Is there any chance the diagnosis may be incorrect? I'm asking because I looked at some pictures of keratosis and it does not look like what I have. My spot looked like a bruise or just blood under the skin. I feel very confused about this whole thing. Thank you for your time. You are a valuable asset to the medical field.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm glad you got a biopsy. A biopsy is indeed the best way to find our what you have. It would be incredibly UNLIKELY for you to have KS. Biopsies are usually the definitive answer. There are many, many benign (i.e., non-cancerous) skin lesions. Benign keratosis is really nothing more than a collection of non-cancerous skin cells. This condition is extremely common. If the individual lesions bother you, your health provider can remove them by applying liquid nitrogen or other appropriate treatments.

I survived high grade lymphoma; Is it likely to come back?
Night Sweats- at what point do you worry?