AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

post hodgkins treatment ; what 's appropriate for follow-up care.

My 14 year old daughter is finishing her 4 courses of chemo for stage 2A hodgkins. the doctor is recommending cat scans etc every 3 months post chemo. What is the recommended follow up care? Also what is the incidence for recurrence? thank you.

john

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear John, I'm glad to hear that your daughter completed treatment. The success rate for Stage 2A is quite good, well over 85%; it's hard to give an accurate statistic without knowing abit more of her medical details. I don't know if there really is a standard recommended follow-up care. Some physicians rely heavily on CT scans, others on gallium scans, and others on a careful assessment of the patient on regular basis. Such an assessment includes asking the patient for any new symptoms, performing a careful physical examination, and checking blood work. What is clear, however, is that some type of follow-up care is needed. As your daughther is further out from her chemotherapy, she will need less follow-up.

Will a biopsy show for sure what I have?
I survived high grade lymphoma; Is it likely to come back?