AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

What is the correct term when someone passes on?

Is it correct to say that someone has "died of AIDS" or does someone who has full blown AIDS and passes on, die of an AIDS-related complication?

Response from Dr. Dezube

I can't do any better than Shakespeare when he said that "a rose by another name would smell as sweet". We doctors use both of the expressions you mention interchangably; neither is incorrect. You can say that someone has died from AIDS, or that he died from an AIDS-related complication. Typically on a death certificate, I will indicate both; e.g. I'll write that the person died of lymphoma caused by AIDS. Hope this clarifies your question. You'd be surprised how often this question is asked.

You could be my last opportunity to get advice; I'm obsessing
Will a biopsy show for sure what I have?