Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

You could be my last opportunity to get advice; I'm obsessing
Feb 10, 2002

I am very thankful that you and this board exist. I am a 40 y/o male heterosexual. I have obsessive-compusive disorder (OCD) and a variety of other emotional issues. The reason I am writing is that occassionaly I get some very light night sweats, just around the base of my neck, a little on my chest and thats about it. I do not seem to have any swollen lymph nodes, although I check them a few times a day (OCD) and I have a great appetite, geberally feel good, so sore throat, am gaining weight, no other symptoms etc.

I have never had an HIV test, had always had protected vaginal sex (about 35 partners in my life-most one timers, that's due to low self esteem and I suffer from clinical depession, which anti-depressants do me no good-even my shrink has given up on me and told me to not come back..nice huh?)

So, am I doomed? Do I have something else to worry about other than the existing multiple emotional issues in my sorry life?

I pray you will respond and I look forward to your answer.

Best regards-

Richard

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear Richard: I certainly hope that I'm not your last opportunity to get advice. There are many causes of night sweats other than HIV. Please get tested! Knowledge is power. Only by being tested, will you be able to stop obsessing. I realize if you have obsessive-compulsive disease, that it is not easy to stop obsessing. If your shrink will truly not see you again, then it may be time to find a new one. I would give the medications another chance to work.

Previous
Hodgkins; is my scar tissue normal?
Next
What is the correct term when someone passes on?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.