AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Can I inherit Kaposi's sarcoma from my mother?

my mother who passed away last month. She had Kaposi's sarcoma for years, although this was not the cause of death. My question is-- there are five siblings...is there a chance of gene inheritance?

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Although some cancers are indeed passed on through the genes, Kaposi's sarcoma fortunately is NOT one of them. Neither you nor your siblings need to go through any special screening to get checked for Kaposi's sarcoma. That said, it is always a good idea to let you personal physician know of the medical details of your family history; finding about the family history is part of a routine intake when a health provider first meets a patient. In short, in terms of KS, there is no need to worry.

Can KS be transmiteed through oral sex?
Hodgkins; is my scar tissue normal?