AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Dementia

I was diagnosed one year ago (initial VL was 332,000 and CD4 of 328) and began treatment with Viramune, Epivir and Ziagen. My viral load has been undetectable and CD4 is around 540. What are the chances of dementia or similar impacts to my brain? Any chance of impairment to cognitive function? Are there any tests or medical procedures to measure this or diagnose this? Are there any recent papers discussing dementia in people on antiretroviral therapy? Thankyou for your help!

HIV dementia is rarely observed in persons with CD4 counts > 200-250. The HIV regimen you are on likely achieves good drug levels in the brain and should protect you nicely against HIV dementia. There are tests utilized by HIV knowledgeable neurologist that can detect early dementia (besides the expensive X-ray type tests). When those tests have been used in persons in your state there is rarely any sign of cognitive impairment. There is a large literature about HIV dementia but--the good news--it is extremely rarely seen among persons on antiretroviral therapy with viral load/CD4 counts in the range you described. KH

KS and women? Can I get it?
Can KS be transmiteed through oral sex?