AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Nightsweats; I'm anxious about another relapse

Since last week I started having night sweats, and then I developed 103 fever. My lungs have been a problem for months due to chemotherapy for lymphoma. They started to wean my prednisone from 40 down to 30mgs. I started dapsone for anticipated stem cell transplant. I am 5 weeks out of last chemo and anxious could this be the start to yet another 4th relapse? VL undectable and CD4 Upper 200's. It's so hard not to get so anxious.What do you think?Thanks

Response from Dr. Dezube

I feel for you. It's not easy having had lymphoma in the past, having nightsweats in the present, and have a stem cell transplant to look forward to in the future. Your anxiety is completely understandable. It sounds like the transplant is the best option. Although nightsweats can be a sign of lymphoma, they can also be due to an infection. You are certainly at risk for an infection given your HIV and the prednisone. There's obviously no way I can tell what you have over the internet. It's clear to me that you need your care providers to evaluate the situation and I imagine that by the time you get this response, that you will have already been evaluated. An evaluation will probably consist of taking a detailed history, performing a thorough physical examination, and obtaining blood work and scans. Good luck with your transplant. Although, I imagine, at times you may and will get discouraged, the best advice I can give you is take each day at a time, keep an eye on the future, call in your support troops (friends, partner, relatives, co-workers) and don't give up.

Can a Positive PPD affect HIV test?
RE: Nightsweats, lymphoma and stem cell transplant