AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Can a Positive PPD affect HIV test?

When I was 9, I had a positive tine test. Mantoux was negative. Many years later, I had a slight reaction which they called negative. The following year, I had a positive PPD. I am wondering if the fact that I have had weird reactions to the TB test, could this mean I could have a weird reactin to an HIV test. I had an HIV test at 9 months and 11 months after possible exposure which were both negative. Now I have an enlarged parotid gland, and I am afraid that maybe my system is just not picking up the HIV for some reason. Should I have another HIV test?

Response from Dr. Little

In general, the cause for a reactive tine test at age 9 is exposure to TB or BCG as a child. The BCG reaction does tend to wane (ie fade) over time. In my mind, any reappearance of a positive PPD after several negatives, does suggest new TB or reactivation of previously unknown disease. I am not aware of any reason that this TB history would affect your HIV test results. That is, if you have no HIV risks for over 6 months since your last negative HIV test, then I do not think you need to be retested. If you have any possible HIV risk exposure less than 6 months after your last negative HIV test, then I would redo your HIV testing. The enlarged parotid gland could be many things - it does not make me think you have HIV.

Acne...is it true that acne is common in HIV+ers??
Nightsweats; I'm anxious about another relapse