The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can a Positive PPD affect HIV test?
Jan 29, 2002

When I was 9, I had a positive tine test. Mantoux was negative. Many years later, I had a slight reaction which they called negative. The following year, I had a positive PPD. I am wondering if the fact that I have had weird reactions to the TB test, could this mean I could have a weird reactin to an HIV test. I had an HIV test at 9 months and 11 months after possible exposure which were both negative. Now I have an enlarged parotid gland, and I am afraid that maybe my system is just not picking up the HIV for some reason. Should I have another HIV test?

Response from Dr. Little

In general, the cause for a reactive tine test at age 9 is exposure to TB or BCG as a child. The BCG reaction does tend to wane (ie fade) over time. In my mind, any reappearance of a positive PPD after several negatives, does suggest new TB or reactivation of previously unknown disease. I am not aware of any reason that this TB history would affect your HIV test results. That is, if you have no HIV risks for over 6 months since your last negative HIV test, then I do not think you need to be retested. If you have any possible HIV risk exposure less than 6 months after your last negative HIV test, then I would redo your HIV testing. The enlarged parotid gland could be many things - it does not make me think you have HIV.

Previous it true that acne is common in HIV+ers??
Nightsweats; I'm anxious about another relapse

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint