AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

my lungs are bad again; I'm tired and I need to rid myself of cancer.

I recently wrote about my lungs taking up gallium. I don't have a pneumonia just another flare up of inflammation from the chemotherapy. Because my lungs are bad again they are thinking about stopping chemotherapy and sending me for a stem cell consultation. Will I still meet the criteria for stem cell? Stopping chemotherapy even because of my lungs is this wise? A person only has so much strength to get by and I'm tired Dr Dezube this has been going on for 16 months of chemotherapy. I just need to rid myself of this cancer. What do you recommend? Thanks

Response from Dr. Dezube

You ask some hard questions which I may not necessarily be able to answer. Obviously we always aim to give full treatment for lymphoma. However, sometimes we just can't give full treatment because of side effects similar to those which you describe. If the chemotherapy is truly hurting your lungs, then it may indeed be appropriate to change gears. I can't really comment about whether or not you'll still be eligible for a stem cell transplant. I imagine that the transplant doctors may check out your lungs before the transplant. You ask what I would recommend-- I would recommend that you see the transplant doctor and then (s)he could contact your regular cancer doctor and decide among themselves the appropriate course of action. A stem cell transplant may be your best bet. Your situation is not a simple one and as such, there is not simple answer. Good luck. Please write back and let me know what's decided.

What do you think of the report of a drug which attacks HIV in its hiding place?
Acne...is it true that acne is common in HIV+ers??