Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What do you think of the report of a drug which attacks HIV in its hiding place?
Jan 27, 2002

Can you give your opinion on this:

Ottawa researchers at the Ottawa Hospital announced this week that a naturally occurring protein can reduce the level of HIV to undetectable levels in dormant cells that hide from other drugs. The team tested a molecule called TRAIL, or tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand. This is a protein produced by the body's immune cells.

Response from Dr. Dezube

The research you describe is both promising and sound. In the Nov. 15th issue of Journal of Virology, the group you mentioned describes the ability of the above protein to reduce the amount of HIV to undetectable levels in latently infected cells. Latently infected cells are those cells in which the virus hides. We will only know, whether or not such a protein will ever become part of the HIV drug armamentarium, by designing and enrolling patients into the proper clinical trials. The more patients enroll into trials, the sooner we get answers to these questions. As you can imagine, many great ideas never make it through all the necessary clinical trials. Only time will tell when it comes to TRAIL. That said, the research you describe is nevertheless interesting and important.

Previous
Kaposi's sarcoma and Doxil; How long should I be treated for
Next
my lungs are bad again; I'm tired and I need to rid myself of cancer.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.