Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Kaposi's sarcoma and Doxil; How long should I be treated for
Jan 27, 2002

I was diagnosed with KS in Dec. 2001, and had my tonsils removed because of a lesion on them. I have five lesions on my body, and a few in my mouth/throat. I recently had my first Doxil treatment, and my oncologist says I may only need 2 treatments. Everything I read says that the normal course of treatment for Doxil includes about 6 treatments. What would determine whether I need 2 or more treatments? If my lesions are gone, does that mean that I am cured, or can this still be lurking in my blood? My viral load is now undetectable and CD4 is 325, but four months ago my viral load was 250,000 and CD4 was 97. Thanks for your time.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I personally treat patients with a couse of 6 treatments. This may be an issue of style. Your oncologist is not necessarily wrong if your therapy is cut short. Different cancer doctors approach things differently. The only time I cut the treatment short is if patients tolerate the chemotherapy poorly. When it comes to KS, we really don't use the word "cure". Kaposi's sarcoma is caused by a virus called HHV-8 (also known as the Kaposi's sarcoma herpes virus). The chemotherapy does not eliminate this viral infection (sorry). HOWEVER if your lesions are first shrunk by chemotherapy, and if you stay on your HIV therapy, then most likely your KS will not come back. The HIV meds help restore your immune system, which in turn, keeps the HHV-8 virus in a dormant state (i.e. in hibernation). So to answer your question, your KS is not cured, but rather in hibernation. Good luck with the chemotherapy. BD.

Previous
Chemo Dosage for Hodgkins; Should I start low or start at the regular dose.
Next
What do you think of the report of a drug which attacks HIV in its hiding place?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.