AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Chemo Dosage for Hodgkins; Should I start low or start at the regular dose.

Thank you for your response to my question on the treatment of Hodgkins Disease of December 12th. Based on your recommendation, my Oncologist and I decided to start treating my Stage 1A Hodgkins Disease with Chemotherapy (ABVD) followed by targeted radiation thearpy. Although my HIV is stable, with an undectable viral load, my Oncologist is recommending starting with 75% of the dosage intially to see how I do, and then increasing it to 100% if I tolerate it well. Does this sound reasonable to you?

Response from Dr. Dezube

If your HIV is stable and you are otherwise healthy, I personally start at full doses. Your HIV regimen should NOT include AZT which interferes with chemotherapy. You should also be on PCP prophylaxis no matter what your CD4 count is. It's been my experience that most patients with stage 1A Hodgkin's disease tolerate full dose therapy well. Some patients need G-CSF (neupogen), which is a growth factor which stimulates the bone marrow to produce more white cells. Your oncologist's approach is not necessarily wrong. This may be an issue of style. Feel free to have him/her call me; I'm listed with all the oncology societies. Good luck. You should do well. BD.

My primary care provider is incompetent; I'm pissed!
Kaposi's sarcoma and Doxil; How long should I be treated for