Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Re: swollen inguinal nodes after protected sex with a prostitute
Jan 21, 2002

Hello, I see my post has created a bit of a stir. When I got your response to my email, I was a bit surprised that you stated I was still at risk, even though I had protected sex and a 4 month negative test. However, although logically I realized my risk was low, there was still some doubt in my mind (i.e., worried well). Thus, I did what every worried well person does- surfs HIV sites and calculates his/her risk via other anecdotal stories. This is fine and dandy, but given that I am so highly anxious, this, ultimately, did me NO good so I took your advice and had yet another HIV test last Monday- which would have been 13 months after my exposure. I am happy to say it was negative!!! My anxieties are gone and I urge all men who have had what they consider high risk sex to stop looking at this web site for comfort! The only way to alleviate the HIV anxiety is to get tested. I would guess that the man who questioned your advice had a similar exposure and may be questioning your advice to ameliorate his own anxieties.

By the way, I don't frequent prostitutes much- just that one and ONLY time. However, the advice you gave was sound and condoms can break, so if I was one who kept visiting hookers, I agree that I would be at risk.

Finally, I saw the Doctor regarding my node and he wants to follow it, but can barely feel it (said it is like a pea), but will biopsy it if it gets bigger or more problematic.

Thanks for all your advice and your frank attitude. You are providing a profoundly important service to the general public and should be proud.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Posted. Thank you for all your words of wisdom. No one speaks better than one who's been there. I am really happy to hear that you tested negative and that your anxieties are gone. Your advise to other men is very sound advice.

Previous
Since when is protected sex with prostitutes risky?
Next
HIV therapy after Hodgkin's disease

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.