AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

I'M STILL STANDING !!! and doing Spectacular. Never give up.

Thank you, Dr. Dezube, for your response to my note in support of clinical trials and support groups. Yes, I do feel that I am now on a new spuritual plain. Since facing death so closely last year I wake up each day grateful to be alive. Damn the stigma, I wear my red ribbon pin with pride. I smile at strangers and start talking with them about my recovery. Many of them know someone who has cancer or HIV, and are encouraged by my message of hope and my joy of life. Recently when I asked my oncologist, Dr. Lee Ratner, how I was doing, his answer was "Spectacular". Yes, I need to walk with my cane, and still have difficult and painful days, and on the days when I do have much energy I usually hit the wall by mid afternoon, but I do believe I'll be sailing my boat next spring. My dentist has to pull the rest of my teeth and I'll start physical therapy again soon. Both of those should help to improve my health, and as I'm 66 and retired I have plenty of time so I'm looking into volunteer opportunities. As Gandalf the Wizard told Frodo the Hobbit, all I have to do is decide what to do with the days I have left.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Posted.

Deciding what to do with the days is no simple task. Having lived through cancer and the treatments creates an enormous challenge of figuring out the best way to make one's life meaningful. Although this is a great challenge for all humans, whether or not they've been through what you've been through, many folks don't try to figure out the path-forward until such an event happens. I'm glad to hear about your new spiritual plain. My best wishes. BD

One more stem cell question-- HIV meds during transplant
Cancer, Chemo, and Drugs (crack)!