AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

One more stem cell question-- HIV meds during transplant

Sorry to have to ask another question. Will I still be taking my HIV meds during the stem cell transplant. It's so hard to keep HIV meds down during chemotherapy, I'm always so stressed that i'll become resistant or something.Thank you.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Although in general it's good to stay on HIV meds, during high dose chemotherapy it often is not possible to keep the HIV meds down because of the nausea and other side effects brought on by the transplant. From an HIV standpoint, you should be able to stop all your HIV meds for a few weeks without developing resistance. In fact, you are more likely to develop resistance by taking drugs on an erratic basis, than by stopping them together. Good luck with your transplant!

Will chemotherapy affect HIV Testing?
I'M STILL STANDING !!! and doing Spectacular. Never give up.