Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CT scan and lymph node detection; is there a size minimum?
Jan 13, 2002

I was wondering, besides a biopsy, would a CT scan detect swollen nodes/glands regardless of their size,i.e., do they have to be at a minimum size?

Response from Dr. Dezube

A CT scan is an excellent way to check for lymph nodes. CT scans can pick up very small lymph nodes. A CT scan, however, can NOT tell whether the lymph node is abnormal or not. Most small nodes (ones measuring just a few millimeters) can be safely ignored. As a rule-of-thumb, health care providers become more concerned when the lymph nodes are 2 centimeters or greater. However this is a general-rule-of-thumb, which means that there can be exceptions. In other words, although a lymph node greater than 2 cm would make me worry, such a lymph node can be completely benign (i.e. not harboring either an infection of cancer). On a similar note, although a lymph node less than 2 cm would make me reassured, such a lymph node can indeed harbor an infection or cancer. A lymph node of any size would be more worrisome if you had systemic symptoms (fever, chills, night sweats, weight loss).

Previous
Swollen inguinal nodes after sex with a prostitute
Next
Will chemotherapy affect HIV Testing?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.