The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Swollen inguinal nodes after sex with a prostitute
Jan 13, 2002

I had protected vaginal sex and unprotected oral (I received) with a prostitute. I tested for HIV at 17 weeks post exposure, which was negative. After having sex with my HIV negative girlfriend, I developed sore inguinal lymph nodes on the right side. This happened six weeks ago and they are still persisting, though they have waxed and waned a bit. Now they are between 1 cm and 1.5 cm at the largest. Given the timeline I have given you, what should I be asking my Dr. to do? Should I be making any connection between what happened with the prostitute and my swollen lymph nodes now? I am at a loss.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Lymph nodes in the inguinal (groin) area are very common and do not necessarily mean that you have HIV disease. However, you are still at risk and I would recommend a repeat HIV test. If you have not tested positive for HIV by 6 months, then you can breathe much easier.

I have to believe that if you have visited a prostitute at least once, then you are at risk for visiting them again. This puts both you and your HIV-negative girlfriend at risk. I would urge you to discuss this situation with either your health care provider or mental health worker (do you have one?). Even if you lucked out this time in terms of not getting HIV, it is unlikely that you will be so lucky each and every time.

My lymphoma treatments are causing side effects with my eyes
CT scan and lymph node detection; is there a size minimum?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint