AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Do you think I have anal cancer?

I have been positive for ten years. Five years ago I found something near my rectum. I asked my family doctor, but he said he didn't know what was it. It is hard and the size of a pencil. It is under the skin. I can feel it with my finger. My doctor said that I don't have warts and that my anus looks healthy.

Response from Dr. Dezube

It's obviously quite difficult for me to tell you what you have based on your description. You mention that you've had it for 5 years. If this is the case, it would be highly unlikely for anal cancer to just sit there for 5 years and not grow.

Many, many things can pop up in the anal area. Most processes are not cancer. This could be anything which commonly afflicts that area-- fissures, hemorrhoids, skin tags, warts, skin cancer, and so on. If it bothers you, then you should seek some answers. You could suggest to your family doctor that you would like to pursue this further. Often colorectal surgeons or dermatologists or other similarly skilled health care providers can provide some answers.

If you do find out what it is, please write back and let me know.

Could I have Kaposi's Sarcoma or could it just be cherry angiomas?
Clinical trials & Support groups- YES !!!