Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I don't believe that I will survive my recurrent lymphoma!
Dec 24, 2001

Dr Dezube, Do you have any patients that have had 2 reoccurences of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma(NHL) within 14 months.I currently am through the 3rd round of chemo. I get a gallium scan next week,my last gallium was negative in July, yet in October I was riddled with NHL again so I don't feel any comfort with a negative scan result. Deep inside myself I don't believe that I will survive this. It's so stressful living with this illness. I am pushing for a stem cell transplant, but is it common for people to have recurrent illness. My highest VL was 5000 and my CD4 count is 234 to 290. I just don't believe any more that I will ever get well. And if you have never been ill, you don't know what it really like being in my body with all those chemo/hiv meds and prednisone. It's hell!! I'm not depressed. Why can't my doctor rid me of this?

Response from Dr. Dezube

Your query says it all. I'm not sure what I can add. Yes, I've had patients whose lymphomas have recurred despite our valient efforts. Yes, recurrent lymphoma can be hell and to quote my patients "really sucks". I'm sure your doctor is right behind you, doing his(her) best to rid you of this. Oh how I wish that our treatments were 100% effective. Our treatments are quite good, but we will not rest until they are 100% effective. And yes, you should push for a stem cell transplant. This may be your best hope. Will you survive recurrent lymphoma? None of us know your future, but I pray that you find the hope to cling on to. You sound like a very special guy(gal). Your stress and fear are very palpable. Do you have adequate support in terms of friends, families, support groups, counselors, and co-workers?

Previous
Are palpable lymph nodes a normal finding?
Next
Can I get Kaposi's sarcoma from a woman?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.