AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Does re-occuring shingles pose higher risk of KS?

Hi, I have not been on HIV meds yet but my recent counts indicate its a good idea (VL400,000/CD4 370)My question is that I've had shingles 4-5 times in the last 3years.How interrelated are shingles and KS?Do you know of any studies pointing to an increased risk in untreated shingles patients to get KS?And can KS start before CD4 counts drop to <200?-JJ

Response from Dr. Dezube

Although both shingles and KS are causes by viruses, I am NOT aware of any relationship between the two. So the simple answer to your question is that you are NOT at an increased risk to get KS if you get shingles. In response to your second questions, KS can indeed start before CD4 count drops to <200. In fact, such a scenario is not uncommon. Typically the KS that occurs at higher CD4 counts is less aggressive than the KS that occurs at lower CD4 counts.

PS: With a VL of 400,000, I agree that you should start potent anti-retroviral therapy.

HLA matched bone marrow from HIV non-progressors?
HIV and lymphoma......family fearful