buyin a house

I was diagnose with hiv for more than one year. Now I'm in treatment. I'm planning to buy a house. How my hiv status will afect me to buy a life insurance for the mortage.

Thank you

Response from Mr. Berg

Generally, being HIV+ can limit if not prevent the purchase of life insurance. Usually, a blood test is required as part of the application process (especially for higher dollar amounts). The life insurance industry has really tightened up their screening procedures since there has been alot of attention in the media recently regarding life insurance fraud and viatical settlement companies. I would check with a local insurance/real estate/mortgage agent for the options in your state. There are a few companies marketing an impaired-risk life policy to the HIV+ community in several states, but the eligibility criteria is very restrictive and it is not cheap.

Employer defaults on Insurance Premium
Medi-Cal Disability No More?